"using Visual C++ as the compiler" -- I'm sorry, but this is
completely unhelpful.  What is the version you're using?  Did you read
the INSTALL.W32 file (including installing a version of perl such as
ActivePerl and running the Configure.pl script the way that you are
supposed to)?

It appears as though the version.c file was not properly generated.
Please nmake -f ms\ntdll.mak clean, then re-run the configuration, and
retry.  (Depending on the default set of variables used by your
version of VC++, you may need to add a command-line parameter to not
treat warnings as errors.)

-Kyle H