No, I didn't think of using Attribute Certificate not for "authentication"
per se - but to ascertain certain properties of the authenticated entities.
Your visa example is excellent - it illustrates my point very well.

As for who manages AC - that's a different question, because AT THIS TIME
CA's are the only organizations that both have public trust to provide this
service (certifying something about public keys) and have the necessary
experience and position to do that. I'm thinking of industrial deployment -
for that I believe we need some company & framework already established. I
see no reason (besides possible unwillingness) who CA's would not want the
extra business of certifying things other than "raw" indentities.
Verification process isn't that different (if at all), and they are already
verifying some attributes - so why not more.

Thanks for PERMIS reference - I wasn't aware of it, will check.

Regards,
Uri