Title: File encryption with smime

I am trying to do the following:
- create a private and public key (self-signed certificate)
- encrypt a file and place on an ftp server
- the client will pick up the file and decrypt it using the PUBLIC key

Here is what I did to create the certificate:
openssl genrsa  -out sfu.key 1024
openssl req -new -key sfu.key -out sfu.csr
openssl x509 -req -days 30 -in sfu.csr -signkey sfu.key -out sfu.cert

Then encrypt:
openssl smime -encrypt -des3 -binary sfu.cert  <bfile  >bfile.enc

At this stage I was thinking that I would pass the public cert (sfu.cert) to the user and ask them to do the decryption like this:

openssl smime -decrypt -inkey sfu.cert <vsvic3f03.enc >vsvic3f03.out

This doesn't work. The error is: "unable to load signing key file"

This is what works, using the private key:
openssl smime -decrypt -inkey sfu.key <vsvic3f03.enc >vsvic3f03.out

This is not what I want.
How can I encrypt a file, have it safe on a public site (for ftp) and have the client use a public key to decrypt it?

I am a bit new at this, so I am eager to learn as much as possible about it.
Thank you.

Ion Buicliu
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]