Hi

This may be a double post if it is I apologise (I think I may have
posted this before I was authorised by majordomo).

I have started using encryption and thought I would try this out. My
question(s) are as follows - please be gentle

1: How is the IV handled in (AES) encryption - I can see supplying an initial
vector is good but it also appears this should change with every
encryption (if you like). So does a user have to know this + key ?

2: Is it possible to alter a key size say I am using SHA256 and want to
output a SHA256 hash of a users password to use as a key ? Also can I pass
something
to openssl to get a hex digest ?

3: If a cracker can only retrieve 1 part of an encrypted file that has
been deliberately split up - would having this 'part file' help or
hinder the task of decrypting the contents of that file.

4: Is there a way that when attempting to decrypt a file you cannot know
if you have been successful, i.e. you don't know the contents and try a
key - you get an output from the attempt but it is not obvious if that
output is correct (i.e file encrypted multiple times) or do all the
encryption algorithms give a pass or fail or empty output.  (i.e I tell
you my pass-phrase is X and you use this to get output Y but you don't
know what output Y is [could be further encryption], can you tell just
be running the decryption algorithm that the key was a valid key?)

I know this is a bit much for a first question but I am researching a
lot and it is fairly new (but hopefully I am a quick learner).

David

begin:vcard
fn:David Irvine
n:;David Irvine
org:Ayrshire Business Consulting Ltd.
adr:;;3 Wellington Square ;Ayr;Ayrshire;KA71EN;Scotland
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel;cell:+44(0)7977583031
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.open-source-consulting.org