Ok I have taken comment so far and this is my plan - if I am way off
please let me know

create a public salt (anyone can see this and will) of X length (128bits)
take sha512 hash of file to be encryted (and keep it)
supply a password to the pbkdf2 - to create a 256bit key for my AES256
CFB encryption
use the hash with same salt in pbkdf2 and create a 128 bit iv

Encrypt the file and leave it anywhere in public for me to get later
(even in an untrusted place).

Would this work and where are the weaknesses in the plan?

many thanks for your , hopefully, continued patience with me.

David
begin:vcard
fn:David Irvine
n:;David Irvine
org:Ayrshire Business Consulting Ltd.
adr:;;3 Wellington Square ;Ayr;Ayrshire;KA71EN;Scotland
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel;cell:+44(0)7977583031
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.open-source-consulting.org