There is one more problem with attributes and official CA's. If you are your
own CA, it makes a big difference (less trust around in the world - but you
can enforce any attribute verification policy that you choose yo).

Atttributes are added at the time of certification (good - so they can't be
maliciously changed/removed/added later), but currently CA's do NOT verify
them (bad - crap placed in by the identity owner is still crap). Thus, you
can prove that you are Hubert - and add a whole bunch of stuff about you
(the tallest man in Germany, undercover assistant of UN Secretary General,
whatever). Resulting cert will contain a mix of true statements with
something "uncertain".

A solution can be "Attribute Certificate". I don’t know if it makes sense to
you - running your own CA you're free to do what's right regardless of what
VeriSign is doing.

Sorry I didn't answer your question - somebody more knowledgeable about
OpenSSL will explain why it exhibits what I consider a bug (whatever is
placed in the CSR must be signed IMHO).