-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Felix Joussein
Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 2:56 AM
To: openssl-users@openssl.org
Subject: using pfx / pkcs12 as keystore

Hello List,

Note: The following message has also been posted in java - itext library
mailing list!

I'm struggling now for almost one day with using an openssl generated
.p12 file as my java keystore.
I tried a lot of things with openssl and no doubt - I learned a lot, but
at the end I found out the following:

By the way - I'm using TinyCA as openssl frontend - maybe this is the
problem but I don't think so...
Anyway:
I create a certificate + private key, then export it to a .p12 file - I
do this on the openssl shell.
Then I run:

/usr/local/bin/pdfsigner.sh -c=/tmp/my.pfx -p=12345
-i=/var/spool/pdfprint/smbprn.00000199.eGZuqx.pdf
-o=/var/spool/pdfprint/Unbenannt1.pdf -v=0
Exception in thread "main"
java.security.cert.CertificateParsingException: java.io.IOException:
subject key, Unknown key spec: Invalid RSA modulus size.
        at sun.security.x509.X509CertInfo.<init>(X509CertInfo.java:155)
        at sun.security.x509.X509CertImpl.parse(X509CertImpl.java:1679)
        at sun.security.x509.X509CertImpl.<init>(X509CertImpl.java:173)
        at
sun.security.provider.X509Factory.engineGenerateCertificate(X509Factory.java
:90)
        at
java.security.cert.CertificateFactory.generateCertificate(CertificateFactory
.java:389)
        at com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.PKCS12KeyStore.a(DashoA12275)
        at
com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.PKCS12KeyStore.engineLoad(DashoA12275)
        at java.security.KeyStore.load(KeyStore.java:652)
        at pdfsigner.sign(pdfsigner.java:109)
        at pdfsigner.main(pdfsigner.java:72)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: subject key, Unknown key spec: Invalid
RSA modulus size.
        at sun.security.x509.X509Key.parse(X509Key.java:155)
        at
sun.security.x509.CertificateX509Key.<init>(CertificateX509Key.java:58)
        at sun.security.x509.X509CertInfo.parse(X509CertInfo.java:706)
        at sun.security.x509.X509CertInfo.<init>(X509CertInfo.java:153)
        ... 9 more

after importing my .p12 file into Windows XP's certificates, and
exporting it again to a pfx, my java program, which just has thrown a
few exceptions and of course did not work, now it does.

Her an excerpt of the relevant code:

KeyStore ks = KeyStore.getInstance("pkcs12");
           try{
             ks.load(new FileInputStream(pfxNameVal),
pfxPassVal.toCharArray());
            }
            catch (Exception ex) { System.out.println("Error while
reading the certificate - possible cause: Invalid password\nBelow is the
                detailed error message:");throw ex;}

            String alias = (String)ks.aliases().nextElement();
            PrivateKey key = (PrivateKey)ks.getKey(alias,
pfxPassVal.toCharArray());
            java.security.cert.Certificate[] chain =
ks.getCertificateChain(alias);
            PdfReader reader = new PdfReader(inPDFVal);
            FileOutputStream fout = new FileOutputStream(outPDFVal);

Is there a way to skip the windows part in the process of creating
Java-suitable pfx's ?
Thank you all for your help in advanced,

Felix Joussein

believed to be clean.

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information which is the
property of Persistent Systems Pvt. Ltd. It is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are not authorized to read, retain, copy, print, distribute or
use this message. If you have received this communication in error, please
notify the sender and delete all copies of this message. Persistent Systems
Pvt. Ltd. does not accept any liability for virus infected mails.

believed to be clean.