On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 11:35:13AM +0200, Marek Marcola wrote:
> Hello,
> > the block size is always the same as the key length in AES (and the most
> > block
> > ciphers, I think). You are using 128-AES -> 128 bits key == 16 bytes block
> > size
> >   (q.e.d).
> Not exactly:
>
> AES128: block_size: 16 bytes, key_size: 16 bytes
> AES192: block_size: 16 bytes, key_size: 24 bytes
> AES256: block_size: 16 bytes, key_size: 32 bytes
>    DES: block_size:  8 bytes, key_size:  8 bytes
>   DES3: block_size:  8 bytes, key_size: 24 bytes (3*8 bytes)

The way block ciphering works is by first deriving a key schedule from the key.
Different ciphers have different ways of deriving enough entropy for each of
the schedule keys.

I believe (correct me if I am wrong) that for each round  a different key is
used. And this key is one of the keys in the schedule.

The way the input block interacts with the round key therefore is not a one to
one relationship...

Sorry my knowledge stops there as things are misty right now. It is close to 6
years since I took an interest in these things. :-)

Best,
Girish