Traditionally the term "self-signed" applied to certificates that are NOT
signed by anybody but the owner of the given key pair. With all the relevant
security implications.

What is the purpose of checking for "self-signed cert"? To see if only the
owner signed that key? Of to see that key owner ALSO signed the key?