Hi Steve,

Your prompt assistance is much appreciated!

> Well it is more a test utility than a responder.

No worries, that's exactly how we use it too and it is excellent for that
purpose. That is why we are getting into all these corner cases and
obscure features. I personally can't see much point in request- signing in
the OCSP protocol when ssl with client auth would have done the same
thing.

> Ah that's a bug in the ASN1 module associated with the OCSP request.
I'll look into fixing that.

Thanks. My other post shows the openssl request (with -no_certs) includes
an empty sequence for 'certs' which the responder must be looking for.

I'm still not sure how or if the responder is validating the request in
the -no_certs case. I used a cert that the responder could not have known
and it still responded 'good'. I.e. no error regarding request validation.

Cheers,

Simon McMahon

"Dr. Stephen Henson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
11/13/2006 11:56 AM
Please respond to
openssl-users@openssl.org

openssl-users@openssl.org
cc

Subject
Re: ocsp signed requests - bug ?

On Mon, Nov 13, 2006, Simon McMahon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Not sure if this belongs on users or dev because it might just be me not

> using openssl properly.
>
> I have an OCSP client that signs requests but does not send the
> certificate with the request. It also leaves out the requestorName
> (optional). Note that the OpenSSL ocsp requester always adds the cert
when
> it signs a request. According to rfc 2560 it should be legal to not
> include the cert (see below). I think the responder should take an
> argument to specify the request cert. Also, the client should not add
the
> cert if just -signkey is specified. I asked about this in a previous
post
> so I can't find this support if it is there.

Note that requestorName is mandatory if the request is signed: see RFC2560
4.1.2.

The certificate should be omitted from the request if the -no_certs option
is
given.

> The responder fails (and terminates!) with :

Well it is more a test utility than a responder. It is possible to make it
continue after an error with the -ignore_err command line option.

> Waiting for OCSP client connections...
> Error parsing OCSP request
> 3188:error:0D078079:asn1 encoding routines:ASN1_ITEM_EX_D2I:field
> missing:.\crypto\asn1\tasn_dec.c:500:Field=certs, Type=OCSP_SIGNATURE
> 3188:error:0D08303A:asn1 encoding
routines:ASN1_TEMPLATE_NOEXP_D2I:nested
> asn1 error:.\crypto\asn1\tasn_dec.c:749:
> 3188:error:0D08403A:asn1 encoding routines:ASN1_TEMPLATE_EX_D2I:nested
> asn1 error:.\crypto\asn1\tasn_dec.c:578:Field=optionalSignature,
> Type=OCSP_REQUEST
> Responder Error: malformedrequest (1)

Ah that's a bug in the ASN1 module associated with the OCSP request. I'll
look
into fixing that.

Steve.
Funding needed! Details on homepage.