Hi, this might sound like an odd question, but I'm trying to figure
out if there's a way to "use" openssl without actually encrypting
anything.

We have a group of users here who wish to send email through
Thunderbird to a SMTP server (sendmail) that requires SSL/TLS
authentication/encryption. The complaint is that it takes too long for
Thunderbird to encrypt large attachments when sending email.
Email content security isn't a major concern in our situation but we
do want to keep the SSL/TLS authentication in order to prevent
others outside the group from relaying through the SMTP server.
Sendmail depends on openssl for the SSL/TLS portion, so I'm
trying to figure out if there's a way we can modify the SMTP server
to not attempt or require encryption from the email clients while
leaving the basic structure (sendmail/openssl) in place. Maybe set
the encryption strength to zero bits or something similar? I'm not
too openssl savvy, so any details would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any info.

-Brian