Is ECC only used where public key crytography would be used?  As a
replacement for DH, for example?  Or can it be used where symmetric
cryptography would be used?

Also, are there any IP issues related to using it?  I thought I read
that many aspects of ECC has been patented by various people and
companies around the world; Certicom holds like 130 patents around ECC.
I also read that the NSA actually licensed Certicom's intellectual
property in a "restricted field of use".

Does OpenSSL support ECC?  And given the IP issues surrounding it, it is
it ok for people to use it?

Sorry, I know this is not directly related to OpenSSL.  But I appreciate
you taking the time to help me get my head around this.

Thanks,
Ed