On 12/8/06, David Schwartz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I think that's kind of a crazy thing to say. For what possible reason would
Microsoft want my credit card information to leak to a cracker? For what
possible reason would Microsoft want my computer to be hijacked?

It's unlikely that MS would want it -- but on the flip side, they also
make it pretty trivial to happen.

I think that has nothing to do with anything. Why even bother? Why not just
trap my keystrokes and wait for me to enter my credit card info into any
program at all? If you can take over my computer, why limit yourself to just
what passes over HTTPS?

Ah, another fundamental flaw in your view: Just because there's a
"high-value" target available does not mean that "lower-value" targets
lose their own inherent value.  It just means that in your view, the
target that you're protecting most because it's the one that you've
been taught to fear for the most is the one that will be attacked the
most.

I don't want credit card numbers.  So, you protecting your credit card
number is useless against me.  What if what I want is knowledge of
what you're looking at on Amazon's site, so that I can figure out who
to market my own products or services to and what pricepoint to do so
at?

Credit cards are high-value, so there's a specific process in place to
deal with the information leakage.  Less stringent safeguards are in
place for other valuable data.

A security model is defeated if it doesn't do what its implementers want it
to do. If it does precisely what its implementers want, then the security
model has done all it can do. It can't make the implementation what you
might want and it's absurd to expect it to.

Let's take that view, and apply it to "okay, now I start giving or
selling certificates to websites so that my users can use them, and
other users who don't have these certificates can't."  While you see
this as a fundamentally flawed process, there are situations (such as
"I want my users to be able to use the servers that are connected to
my network without having to go outside of it to get the content that
they're serving, but I also don't want to have to publish the contents
of these servers to anyone not on my network so that my own overhead
goes up") where this is already the case, and already in place.

The security model allowed is based on what the CA administration
wants, not necessarily concruent nor even parallel to what the end
user wants.  The original security model as put forth in SSL2 and SSL3
was that the end user would get what the end user wanted.  Not that it
could be hijacked by anyone that the system happened to have a
certificate for.

> David, one of these days you will wake up and understand that the only
> real way to have workable security is to have an educated user behind the
> wheel.

I think that's backwards. The user can *always* screw himself a billion
ways. So long as the user can *only* screw himself, the security is
workable. Security protects a smart user from a smarter adversary. Nothing
protects a dumb user from themself.

Except that security can also be said to "protect a dumb user from a
smarter adversary".  'smart' and 'dumb' can refer to the same level of
knowledge and ability to put that knowledge into practice.

...and while nothing prevents a user from posting his credit card
information to Usenet, nothing (aside from contractual obligation,
now) prevents the server from having such weak security that when the
user sends his information to them as required to complete a
transaction the credit card information is available to anyone who
happens to know how to get to it.

While it's true that you do need to be pretty smart these days to use a
computer safely, I think that's unfortunate. It's sad that people have
stopped using computers to connect with other people and learn about their
world because they can't deal with the sophisticate assaults on them.

...so people should use Office to connect with people even in the face
of multiple zero-day attacks that they don't have the means or tools
to mitigate?

I think it's unfortunate that you're /defending/ the current status quo.

Things really can be easy to use without being dumbed down for those who
want to get into the nitty gritty. It's just *hard* to get that right.

Ah.  You're describing the Macintosh.  Which still doesn't have it
completely right, but it's a LOT closer than Windows.

(I don't mean to start a religious argument here... but you're holding
onto dogmatic assumptions and presumptions that are preventing you
from seeing the validity of other arguments.)

-Kyle H