On Fri, Dec 29, 2006, Aaron Barnes wrote:

> Wonderful!
> I redid the root CA setup using ca.pl, modified the openssl.cnf file to
> CA:TRUE in the v3_ca section, and signed the subordinate request using
> the previous command:
> (ca -config /path/openssl.cnf -out thecertificate.pem -in
> requestfile.req -extensions v3_ca).  I imported the the pem file for the
> subordinate, and also the root cert, and the Windows services started up
> just fine.
> I was also able to verify its functionality by requesting some user
> certs from it.
>
> Is there much difference between signing with the openssl command above
> and the ca.pl perl script?  It seems to me it is mainly helpful for
> automating the process.

Yes that's its main point: to make it easier to setup the appropriate file
structure and perform some common operations without having to delve into
the complexities of some of the commands.

> One last question if you don't mind.  I noticed the keysize for my
> subordinate is 1024 bits.  Where can I indicate the keysize when signing
> the request?  In the openssl.cnf file I used, I have 4096 listed in the
> req section, but does this need to be placed elsewhere?  It didn't work
> when I placed it in the v3_ca section.

The key is contained in the request so when it is signed it uses whatever key
is present. So if you want a larger key size you'll need to redo the request.

If the root CA also has a key size of 1024 bits you should increase that too.

Steve.
Funding needed! Details on homepage.