Hi,

        I upgraded openssl on an old Sparc 20 running Debian Linux to 0.9.8
recently (first using the Debian package, which runs 0.9.8c), and things
started to become troublesome--ssh began to fail, citing an error like this:

RSA_public_decrypt failed: error:0407006A:rsa
routines:RSA_padding_check_PKCS1_type_1:block type is not 01

...I then noticed other similar errors running perl scripts
which use Crypt::SSLeay, and even with wget sent to https sites. I figured
something might be up with the installation, so I used the Debian-standard
compilation method, and ended up with the following error output:

../util/shlib_wrap.sh ./randtest
test 1 done
test 2 done
test 3 done
test 4 done
starting big number library test, could take a while...
test BN_add
test BN_sub
test BN_lshift1
test BN_lshift (fixed)
test BN_lshift
test BN_rshift1
test BN_rshift
Right shift test failed!
make[2]: *** [test_bn] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/openssl-0.9.8c/openssl-0.9.8c/test'
make[1]: *** [tests] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/openssl-0.9.8c/openssl-0.9.8c'
make: *** [build] Error 2
Build command 'cd openssl-0.9.8c && dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc' failed.
E: Child process failed donut:~/openssl-0.9.8c#

...I didn't know what to make of this, so I went back and tried the tweaks
suggested in the INSTALL file. For instance, specifying no-asm on the
command line, and then removing compiler optimizations...still no dice. make
clean ; make ; make test produces the same error.

So then I downloaded the latest version of the source, 0.9.8d from
openssl.org, and re-attempted the same compile and install (with and without
the no-asm and compiler optimization flags)...same problem, same error at
the same time.

Any suggestion of where to look or what to do next?

--Adam