On Wednesday 31 January 2007 06:45, domi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I searched and tried a lot but wasn't able to solve the following problem:
>
> I have built my own little CA (with the help of the OpenSSL book of
> O'Reilly). I can create certificate requests and issue certificate from
> them. Now I want to do the following:
>
> The certificate request should include the crlDistributionPoints. (I'm able
> to enter the DP under certificate_extensions) Thats no problem so far.
> But now should the CA create the certificate without knowing the CRL DP in
> the forefront. The CA should take CRL DP entered by the user and put it
> into the certificate. Unfortunately I wasn't able to manage this.
> I tried a lot of things like crlDistributionPoints=supplied for example but
> nothing worked.

> being written static into the openssl.cnf of the CA.

I'm not sure how this would be doable (I suppose "copy extensions" might be
what you want), however, I also have no idea why you would ever want a
subject to be defining the distribution point for the CA. If you are trying
to roll over the CRLdp (for instance, if you are trying to have only a given
number of certificates in a particular CRL), you might want to have an
environment variable ($ENV::CRLNUMBER), and have that appended to the URI in
the certificateDistributionPoint extension. i.e:

export CRLNUMBER=5
openssl ca -in certreq.pem -out cert.pem

(where there is a usr_ext section in your stock openssl.cnf with the line:

crlDistributionPoints = URI:http://www.example.com/someurl/$ENV::CRLNUMBER.crl

However, with OpenSSL, this is probably a bit tricky, since you'll have to
keep a mapping for the certificate, and parse that before you do the revoke
so that you can do the right thing.

--
Patrick Patterson
President and Chief PKI Architect