On Friday 23 February 2007 15:32:54 Bernhard Froehlich wrote:
> Bruno Costacurta schrieb:
> > Hello,
> >
> > as a newbie, I have some assumptions / questions hereafter about OpenSSL
> > and certificates. Many thanks to correct / confirm me.
> >
> > - a certificate is a public key with metadata
> > - metadata contain mandatories (ie. subject and issuer) and optional
> > parameters
> > - there is no relation between the key algorithm (ie.RSA) and the format
> > of the certificate (ie.PKCS#12)
> > - a certificate can always be converted to another format
> > - the certificate request (.csr) is obsolete (and so should be deleted)
> > once the certificate is created by the CA
> > - technically speaking a 'home-made' CA is egual to a 'professional' CA
>
> Almost 100% correct till here (PKCS#12 is not a format specific for
> certificates but "a bag" which can contain certificates, keys and
> probably other things).
>
> > - the CA remains fully secure as long its private key remains
> > undistributed / uncompromised
>
> ... and the key is strong enough not to be broken (brute force or
> otherwise). And your procedures are good enough that noone can trick you
> into issuing fake certificates. And many things more. So what you are
> saying is one important part of the truth, but you can probably spend a
> lifetime with the rest of it.
>
> > - for a CA, files serial & index files allows to maintain a (type of)
> > database to persist which certificates (with related metadata values)
> > were created by this CA
>
> Almost correct. The serial file has to make sure that there are no two
> certificates with the same serial number issued by the same CA.
>
> > - serial information within the certificate is useless
>
> If you are still talking of only the serial number you are correct. But
> if you also know the issuing CA you can uniquely identify the
> certificate. A CRL (Certificate Revocation List) for example works by
> publishing the serial numbers which have been revoked by a CA and OCSP
> also tells you the status of a certificate if you only tell the (CA
> specific) responder the serial number.

As far as I understand, the serial information within the certificate is only
useful as a reference for the CA. This reference can be used by the CA to
revoke the certificate. Is this correct ?
Is there other action that can be made by the CA on a specific certificate
(ie. renew, some metadata changes...) ?

Thanks,
Bruno

--