-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Bill Colvin
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2007 9:47 AM
To: openssl-users@openssl.org
Subject: RE: Make install fails for the FIPs module on Solaris 10

Ron Maltz wrote:

> It appears that the make install step is stripping off the directory
which > each object file is in, thus they can't be located.

I don't think this is your issue.  The for loop appears to be trying to
ensure that each of the .o files in the list is not in the libcrypto.a
archive.  Normally at this point they are not there anyways.

> Do you know if I should be using a
> different ar other than what comes with Solaris?

This may be it.  After doing "./config fips" and "make", if I do the
following:

        cd fips-1.0
        ar p ../libcrypto.a aes_cbc.o

I get the response:

        no entry aes_cbc.o in archive

and the command:

        ar d ../libcrypto.a aes_cbc.o

yields no response and an error code of 0 (echo $? is 0), where your
version of ar are seems to be indicating an error as a result of the
object module not being in the archive.

If you enter "ar V" you should get the version of ar.

On my system I see:

        GNU ar 2.16.1
        This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the
terms   of the GNU General Public License.  This program has absolutely
no
        warranty.

The ar utility comes from the binutils package.

Hope this helps.

Bill