Gatfield, Geoffrey wrote:

Hello,

We use OpenSSL for encryption within our application. I am now enhancing our application to become FIPS compliant. The OpenSSL FIPS Security Policy lists RSA key wrapping and key establishment as non-approved. But the policy states that it is included when 80 to 150 bits of encryption strength are used. So how do I provide a key exchange if I want FIPS compliance?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Geoff

If you look at the list of CMVP approved RSA implementations (http://csrc.nist.gov/cryptval/dss/rsaval.html)
you will note that the OpenSSL FIPS Object Module, RSA cert #177, has as many or more "merit
badges" than almost any other product.  The FIPS 140-2 terminology is confusing to the uninitiated,
among whom I include myself even after working this validation for five years.  RSA encryption/decryption/key
wrapping is not "Approved", instead it is classified as "Non-Approved, but allowed for use in
FIPS 140-2 mode".

RSA sign/verify is "Approved", and hence is listed with the Approved
algorithms.  You may use either in FIPS 140-2 mode.

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess
Open Source Software Institute