The FIPS version of OpenSSL has an external verification mechanism
which does not require a PGP signature verification.  In the Security
Policy, there are keyed HMACs for the source files which go into
fipscanister.o.  A file inside the distribution mirrors this.  During
the build process, an HMAC-checker is built to verify the source, and
then a signature is created and embedded into fipscanister.o.  During
the fipsld process, code to verify the in-memory library image with
its signature is added to the executable.

Please check the Security Policy for information on the official way
to verify what you downloaded.

-Kyle H