From: Jan Pechanec <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: openssl-users@openssl.org
Sent: Thursday, 17 May, 2007 6:10:44 PM
Subject: Re: New version of OpenSSL not recognised by OS

On Thu, 17 May 2007, Leslie Katz wrote:

>I re-ran Rootkit Hunter and it still complained about my having the old
>version. I ran "openssl version" and that gave me the old version
>number too.

    system shipped OpenSSL in Fedore is probably in /usr/bin, /usr/lib
etc. When installing from source code, default location is /usr/local/...

    run 'which openssl'
    run '/usr/local/bin/openssl version'

    installing a newer version will not help you anyway since system
commands dependent on OpenSSL will stay dependent on the version shipped
with the system.

    you cannot copy newer libs over old ones since 0.9.7 branch is not
binary compatible with 0.9.8 one.

    Jan.

--
Jan Pechanec