Mouse wrote:

> I.e. for the sake of the argument identity
> "Michael" may have an attribute "employee of Tenebras", and another
> attribute "permitted access to dev repository A12".

Well, the Subject Distinguished Name should have the Organization,
but I strongly disagree with you if you think access permissions belong
anywhere in a cert.

The question of whether attribute certs are better or worse for
authorization than e.g. flat files is similar to whether cert-based identity
authentication is better or worse than e.g. LDAP-based one or flat files
e.g. Unix /etc/passwd.

Attribute certs are a lousy way to encode security policy.  You really
only need signed assertions if the relying party has no trusted
method of communication with the policy server (file/db/etc).  Revocation
is a pain, certificate status is a pain, and you've just multiplied
your public key computation load by a factor of three of four.
Much better to check whether the authenticated party has permission
to do what's requested at the time of the request.

Group membership is questionable -- the OU is certainly a kind
of group, but for the purposes of access control a party may
belong to many groups, and a robust policy might restrict access
to certain hours during certain days of the week.  If you
seriously consider this, then the idea of putting access controls
in certificates really looks absurd.

- Michael