-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of David Schwartz
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2007 7:17 PM
To: openssl-users@openssl.org
Subject: RE: Saving (and restoring) cipher context

> I think your argument is based on a false premise. In the majority of
> real-world cases, the server is much more secure generally than the
clients
> are. Storing the keys on the server is likely going to be safer than
storing them on the client.

I just wanted to raise the point that if symmetric keys are stored in an
unprotected state on the same server as the encrypted data, I see little
benefit of doing the encryption if a against compromise leads to both
the keys and ciphertexts.  If no additional protection (such as PBE,
RSA, etc.) is used to secure the symmetric keys in this scenario, then
encryption provides little additional security.

Of course it is an assumption that the symmetric keys are in no way
protected, but I thought I should mention it mention given that it was
said public key cryptography was not currently being used.

Best Regards,

Jason