Bill Colvin wrote:
> Raymond:  It is possible that the functions you are referring to may be
> required to support RSA (key wrapping; key establishment) methodology as
> described on page 19 of the Security Policy.
>
> You also have to take into consideration that all algorithms are
> supported in the code, but certain algorithms are disabled once you
> enable FIPS MODE.

Sorry to take so long to chime in.  You are correct, the meaning of
"approved" in the context of FIPS 140-2 can be confusing.  As it has
been explained to me, RSA encryption/decryption/key wrapping is not
"Approved". Instead it is classified as "Non-Approved, but allowed for
use in FIPS 140-2 mode", hence the listing in the non-Approved
algorithms list. It is permissible to use RSA for
encryption/decryption/key wrapping in the FIPS mode of operation.

RSA for sign/verify is "Approved" and so appears in the other table of
approved algorithms.

We took considerable care to disable the use of forbidden algorithms
when FIPS mode is enabled, so as a general rule of thumb if it works in
FIPS mode and you're not abusing the API in strange and terrible ways
then it's legal.

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess