thanks a lot for your lenghty explanation, David Schwartz. I really
appreciate it for you to help me explain all this. I noted you said that
what I did might be sensible if three things are the case:
  1) The locale you are using the certificate has no daylight savings time.
  2) The certificate isn't going anywhere, it's only going to be used in one
place.
  3) The certificate expires in the near future, so a risk of a change in
daylight savings time rules is low.

  For the no (1), i'm not really sure about this daylight savings time.. I
reside in Malaysia (next to singapore and thailand) and I'm not sure whether
my country has any daylight savings time or not. For no(2), currently the
issued certificates is only used in our office.

  I don't know the daylight savings time rules in your area, but if you have
daylight savings time, then some of your certificates will expire an hour
off from when you intended. I'm pretty sure you do have a daylight savings
time and certificates issued that expire during daylight savings time will
not actually expire at midnight but will be one hour off.

      if ((x = MakeCertificate(req,sconf,nconf,NULL,ca,ca_pkey,
pinfo.begin_validity,
                               pinfo.validity,pinfo.serial,pinfo.algo,0)) ==
NULL)
      {  ret = ERROR_MAKECERT;
         goto end3;
      }

      X509_gmtime_adj(X509_get_notBefore(x),0); //added on 16/7/2007
      X509_gmtime_adj(X509_get_notAfter(x),(long)60*60*24*pinfo.validity);
//added on 16/7/2007
      X509_gmtime_roundup(X509_get_notAfter(x)); //added on 16/7/2007

  This is wrong, you cannot modify the certificate after it is signed. You
have to modify the 'MakeCertificate' function.

  As you may see above, I added the X509_gmtime_adj and X509_gmtime_roundup
after the call to makeCertificate. The generated certificate will have the
desired expiry date, but the cert itself would be corrupted. It will have
this message displayed in the cert - "The integrity of this certificate
cannot be guaranteed. THe certificate may be corrupted or may have been
altered." I guess this happens because I added the line X509_gmtime_ after
the cert has been created, right? But I don't know anyway else where I
should put it.

  Inside the 'MakeCertificate' function.

  And for the MakeCertificate function which was called above, all I could
find was this code:

   X509 *MakeCertificate(X509_REQ *preq,char **sconf,int nconf,EVP_PKEY
*self_key,
                            char* cacert_file,EVP_PKEY *ca_key,int
pbegin,int pdays,
                            long pserial,int palgo,int ca_type)

  which was located in Global.h file. It doesn't seem any where I can put
the X509_gmtime_roundup line....

  Where is the code to the 'MakeCertificate' function? That where you'll
have to do it.

  DS