On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 23:31:03 +0200
"Dr. Stephen Henson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Hi, this doesn't seem to be happening. Doesn't the client need a
> > password to decrypt the private key or does the export create the
> > private key in cleartext? I can use the key without ever giving a
> > password in either Thunderbird or Outlook.
> >

> It depends on what commands you use. The 'pkcs12' utility prompts for
> an export password for this purpose.
>

> > > Once the key is decrypted and stored internally the client will
> > > use its own technique when deciding if and when to use a password
> > > to protect the key.
> >
> > That would be fine but I'm not getting that far. I suspect I'm
> > missing an option when I create the pkcs12 file with the private
> > key or I did something else wrong. How do I find out what I did
> > wrong in exporting the pkcs12 file? I'll be thankful for any
> > suggestions where to look. Thanks again.
> >

> It will ask you for the password only once the very first time the
> PKCS#12 file is imported. After that it is down to facilities of the
> program itself to decide what (if any) password to prompt for.
>
> Steve.

Thanks very much, I'm starting to understand this. One last question:
what's the difference between the export password and the password that
the system asks for when creating a key for which -des3 was specified?
Why doesn't the export just inherit/use the key encryption password?
This is confusing!

Thank you for your help and explanations.