>> command: openssl  s_client -connect server.name.ac.uk:636 -verify 5
>> result: Verify return code: 19 (self signed certificate in
certificate
chain)

>> command: openssl  s_client -connectserver.name.ac.uk:636 -verify 5
>> -CApath /etc/pki/tls/certs
>> result: Verify return code: 0 (ok)
>>
>> Obviously that didn't work, hence the call for help.
>>

>Could you clarify what the problem is? The results you show seem
perfectly normal.

Problem is openSSL only seems to work if I explicitly pass it the
location of the certificates with the -Capath switch.
It doesn't seem able to find them on it's own.

This creates a problem for OpenLDAP when I am trying to query an LDAP
server via ssl/tls.

example: /usr/bin/ldapsearch -H "ldaps://server.name.ac.uk"
result: Can't contact LDAP server <snip> certificate verify failed.

I am assuming that openssl's inability to find hashed certificates for
globalsign (whose certificates are used on the LDAP server)
results in OpenLDAP not being able to authenticate the LDAP server's
certificates.

Perhaps I am misunderstanding what is going on and that the OpenLDAP
problem is not related to what I perceive to be an openSSL problem.

Regards

Leigh Silvester