On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 04:15:47PM -0400, Aaron Smith wrote:

> I'll see if I can figure out what's causing apache to link to 0.9.7.  As
> far as I know, I've got all my environment variables set to look at the
> 0.9.8 libraries.  It seems odd that the original compile would work
> though.

On any complex system that mixes multiple TLS talking components
(LDAP, Apache itself, nss modules that use LDAP, ...) it is important
to standardize on a single system-wide version of the OpenSSL library
(not just OpenSSL, similar concerns apply to Berkeley DB and other
core components).

When faced with such a system (one that is partly built from source,
and partly via vendor binary packages), you must resist the urge to use
the latest-greatest version of a library that is also included at a
different release level in the base system.

If the default OpenSSL for the vendor system is 0.9.7, stick with that,
but use the latest patch level. If you want 0.9.8, upgrade to a system
release that uses 0.9.8 throughout.

--
        Viktor.