> So when generating a key, how do I determing the size?
>
> If the bits paramater in RSA_generate_key fuction equals 128,
> does this mean
> I have created a 128 bit key?
>
> RSA_generate_key(bits,RSA_F4,NULL,NULL);

Note that a 128-bit RSA key would be completely worthless. 512-bits in the
recommended minimum for casual use, 1,024 for commercial use, and 2,048 for
high-security applications.

In general, you cannot compare directly the number of bits in one algorithm
with the number of bits in another. As a rule of thumb, a 1,024-bit RSA key
could be considered roughly comparable to an 80-bit AES/3DES key.

Typical commercial web applications today use 2,048-bit RSA keys and 128-bit
or 256-bit AES/RC4 keys.

DS