Hi All,

I am testing an Objective-C program that links with openssl-0.9.8d, in a Linux environment. In testing, I noticed that RSS use was creeping up fairly quickly, at the rate of about 50MB per day, under a load of roughly one SSL connection every three seconds. To test whether the problem was indeed related to SSL, I ran another copy of the program on a separate machine, with identical inputs and test conditions. The non-SSL program did not have the same leak behavior. A colleague has a different program that also uses SSL, and he observed the same behavior in his testing.

I ran the SSL version of the code under the MallocDebug tool on a Mac laptop, linked with openssl-0.9.7d. I did not find any leaks. The colleague tested his program on Linux with openssl-0.9.8d under Valgrind, and also did not find any leaks. Thus, it may be the case that extra memory is still being referenced, and just not released.

I wanted to see if there are any known issues of this kind with openssl-0.9.8d. Of course, it's possible that the leak is in my code and not in SSL, but the fact that only the SSL connections caused the leak in my testing, and that another program that uses the same openssl version has this problem as well, suggests that openssl may be involved.

Thank you in advance for any help anyone can provide!

--David