[...]
On 10/30/07, Scott Gifford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> If this presents a real problem, the general solution is to use a
> specialized malloc, which uses a memory allocation method that allows
> returning memory to the OS, such as mmap.  I'm not sure how to use a
> custom malloc with OpenSSL, but hopefully this will give you something
> useful to Google for.  And it's worth noting that it this sort of
> memory usage doesn't usually cause a real problem.

Actually, one of the biggest problems that can happen on Windows is
the use of different heap-malloc routines between the single-thread
versus multi-thread, or debug versus release, versions of the DLL.
The answer to 'how to provide openssl with a custom malloc' is
detailed in the FAQ.

Writing and debugging the custom malloc, though, is non-trivial.

-Kyle H