> 3. I installed OpenSSL and run it in the Windows Vista  cmd and
> the command
> is
>    openssl genrsa -out my-pkey.pem 1024
>
>    I got the following:
>
>   C:\OpenSSL>openssl genrsa -out my-prvkey.pem 1024
>     Generating RSA private key, 1024 bit long modulus
>      ..............................++++++
>      ........++++++
>      unable to write 'random state'
>      e is 65537 (0x10001)
>
>    Anyone know why?

My bet would be it's Vista file protection. It probably tried to write its
random state out to a default location that was not writable by the current
user. One simple workaround would be to set an environment variable
"RANDFILE" with a name of a file you can create and write to.

I think it should be safe to ignore. The relative loss in security should be
negligible. But you probably shouldn't take my word for it.

DS