Jed Mitten wrote:

I am trying to statically link into libeay32.lib so that I can
distribute my application as a single executable instead of packaging
DLLs along with it.  I am not new to programming, but I am new to
using libraries in C/C++.  I am also completely new to using OpenSSL
in any application.

I did some extensive research online (and in this group) to get to
where I could actually compile OpenSSL on Win32 and link using Visual
C++ Express 9.0, but when I run the application that compiles I get an
error that libeay32.dll cannot be found.  Thanks for any help or
advice.
Option 1:
First, it seems that you have compiled a dll rather than a static lib for openssl.
IE you used: nmake -f ms\ntdll.mak

If you want a static lib you need to run:
nmake -f ms\nt.dll

When you create a dll build it creates a .dll and .lib. The lib for linking against when you make your own executable, but you will still need to include the .dll in your distribution. If you create a static build, all you will have is a .lib; no .dll will be created.

Note however that your executable will be larger if you use a static library.

Option 2:
The other option is to take your libeay32.dll and put it in the same directory as your executable.

#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <openssl/blowfish.h>
using namespace std;

int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {
   string skey = "secret_key";
   char *sdata = "This is a message that I would like to keep secret.
Please do not allow this message to be read without authorization.";

   BF_KEY symKey;
   BF_set_key( &symKey, strlen(sdata), (const unsigned char *)sdata );

   cout << symKey.S;

   return 0;
}

--