Jimmy,

You are right.The cryptographic negotiation of SSL takes
much longer than any TCP handshake. And I do agree with you on significance
of improvement. I haven't quantified yet the gain in doing connection in
persistent TCP.
But server as persistent TCP feature. Some client may wish to communicate
like that.

Thanks,
Prabhu. S