Michael Sierchio wrote:

> I'm not suggesting that this isn't useful, just that it is not
> a defect that it isn't part of the key format itself.

That may or may not be true, but none of your arguments support this point.

I'm learning towards a belief that it is a defect, but I am not thoroughly
convinced and in any event, am not enough of an expert that anyone should act
on my views.

> For compliance purposes, how do you prove generation time?

For compliance purposes, how do you prove you didn't publish the private key in
an ad in the New York Times or that the private key generator didn't generate a
private key an adversary programmed it to generate? How do you prove it didn't
generate the same private key before? If you don't trust the system that
generates and stores your private key, you're screwed anyway. (With or without
a timestamp.)

You simply have to trust any system that sees your private key. That doesn't
mean you have to extend it unlimited trust, of course. But trusting it to
properly generate and store the timestamp is substantially the same type of
trust for a lesser purpose.

> I claim
> that the relevant time is that of the first CSR.  Operationally,
> a timestamp and a nonce as part of a challenge created by the CA,
> included in the CSR which is signed by the subject privkey, makes
> sense.  And hygiene dictates that the only use of the private
> key permissible before issuance of the certificate is in signing
> the CSR.
>
> If the timestamp isn't generated by a trusted third party, I don't
> think it's of much value.

The only real threat model would be that the key was available earlier than the
timestamp, and trusting that the stamp was generated at the time it claims
won't help with that.

I think I would go further and argue that not only should a generation
timestamp be included in private keys but that a key validity interval (signed
by the corresponding private key) should be a standardized option for
certificates.

If your argument is "the key generator's clock could be broken", I would
respond, "the key generator's RNG could be broken too".

DS