went away...if we re enabled, problem re-occurred.
(http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2007-08/msg01911.php)

Today, issue cropped up again...same stack trace:

#0  0xfee8ec23 in sk_value () from /usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8
#1  0xfef5b05b in ssl3_output_cert_chain () from
/usr/local/ssl/lib/libssl.so.0.9.8
#2  0x00000000 in ?? ()

This appears to be version 0.9.8e....

Obviously the problem could be in the way that postgresql is interfacing with
libssl....and I am
working with postgresql users/committers to help troubleshoot but I thought
that maybe the openssl
folks could help.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.