Huh? SET used X.509, as did PEM PKCS/SMIME and SSL et seq, but it was
written for X.500 and X.400 and potentially other ISORMs back in the 1980s.

SET actually "needed" (at least chose) to add a (small) extension --
using the generic framework for extensions that X.509v3 did standardize,
and that many others have also used.

Even if you mean that SET was (reasonably) well suited to X.509's intended
trust model, that occurred indirectly, because they both independently
tried to model real-world business relationships, and unsurprisingly
came up with similar results ...

> Unfortunately, the people who wrote the PKIX were people trying to
> make the protocol have the things that the financial
> services/fiduciary communities needed.  Many of the things in there
> just do not apply to the things that general users of the Internet use
> the Internet for.

... which (business trust model) as you point out isn't the same as
sometimes desireable for cyberspace activities.

<snip rest>