I used SelfSSL.exe utility to create self-signed certificate and installed it
into IIS on my website.
My OpenSSL client fails when I try to connect to my website. I've got this
error:

SSL_connect() failed: error:00000001:lib(0):func(0):reason(1)
error:14090086:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify
failed

After that I created self-signed certificate using OpenSSL and installed it
into IIS on my website. In that case my OpenSSL client work fine.

I compared two certificates (created by SelfSSL and OpenSSL). I found one
important difference: SelfSSL's certificate's "Key Usage" extension has no
"Certificate Signing" bit asserted. In other words SelfSSL generates
self-signed certificate which cannot be used to sign certificates. But it's
self-signed! It was used to sign certificate, but certificate signing is
restricted for it.

So, there are two questions:

1. Is this (SelfSSL) certificate valid (for OpenSSL)?

2. Are there any workaround to use this certificate in my OpenSSL client?