On Friday 30 May 2008 07:39:08 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:
> I personally don't like the idea of generating keys that people will
> try, or using a weak/known key with small probability, but in this
> case I think it's so small that simply scanning for and banning such
> keys is good enough.

What about in a digital signing example, where the point at which you
receive a signed instrument (say by email) it might be considered
legally binding?

A specific example I have here in New Zealand is The Electronic
Transactions Act where an electronic signature is, amongst other
requirements, to be as reliable as is appropriate and adequately
identify the signatory. One could argue (and I'm not a lawyer) that if
the digital signature was created by a key in the "Debian" keyspace, the
signature *may* no longer meet these two requirements and therefore the
instrument could be invalid. The signatory and/or receiver however may
not be aware of the contestability of the signature - which could result
in all kinds of issues including abuse of the situation (e.g. one party
is aware that the signature could be contested however chooses not to
divulge until/if they decide that they want to try and exit the
arrangement).

It is clear by the posts thus far that checking for such keys on
creation (on an unaffected system) seems unwarranted. There also seems
to be some question about the validity of blacklisting of these keys.

Relying on the system using the key (say for signing) being unaffected
doesn't remove the possibility of the key having originated from an
affected system.

I'm therefore left wondering - is blacklisting the affected keys in all
forms of *usage* on all systems a prudent option? If so: is this
functionality something that may be featured in a future OpenSSL
release, or something that should be undertaken by an end-user of
OpenSSL?

Thanks again,

Deane