On 6/16/08, bagavathy raj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
> Is there any binary distribution where I can find SSL dlls without
> patented algorithms like IDEA,MCD2,RC4,RC5 etc. I tried compiling
> without them. I could exclude other algos but not RC4. Some linking
> issues. So i need to know if there is any ssl release without the
> patented algorithms.

RC4 is owned (and trademarked) by RSA Security Inc, but they are no
longer enforcing the patent, and will allow free usage of the OpenSSL
implementation of this cipher to those that ask. However they do
require that OpenSSL toolkit users either do not call it RC4, or call
it "Alleged RC4 cipher" to avoid trademark infringement. If you even
mention the words RC4 in your documentation you may need to mention
that it is "Alleged" and that RC4 is a trademark of RSA Security.
RC2 is also a trademark of RSA Security, but this one can be used
without the "Alleged" prefix, providing you list them as the trademark
owner.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, and I suggest you contact RSA directly
to confirm this information on your own.

-Chris