        <snip>
> /ssl.3ling man3
> : No such file or directoryl/ssl/man/man3
> /: No such file or directoryocal/ssl/man/man3
> make: *** [install_docs] Error 1

        In case you don't realize it, what is almost certainly happening is
that
        you're getting a stray CR in the pathnames that are being used;
        this causes the operations to fail AND the error messages to be
garbled.

        It looks to me like this must be somewhere in the rather tricky code

        under 'install_docs:'. One obvious thing this depends on (a lot) is
Perl;
        are you certain the Perl you are using (PERL= in the Makefile) is a
Cygwin
        build (which IINM uses LF-only) and not a Windows one (using CRLF)?

        If you don't need the docs e.g. can refer to some other system, and
are sure
        you have built OK e.g. 'make test' passed, could try 'make
install_sw' instead.