The Nagle algorithm will attempt to coalesce multiple write() calls
into a single TCP packet.  Since TLS/SSL are a record format atop TCP,
you need to handle the recordss as independent of each other -- i.e.,
you need to process the first TLS record, and then use the results of
that processing to process the second TLS record.  Otherwise, the
internal protocol state gets severely fubar'ed.

Think of this as an attempted attack where Mallory appends a new TLS
record to a short TCP packet.  The only way to be sure that it's not
an attack is to process each record independently.

-Kyle H