Need information on the environment (NT, or which version of *nix).

For *nix, try running 'stty sane', and then also try hitting ctrl+j
and ctrl+m as alternatives to your 'enter' key.

Also, openssl allows you to put the passphrase into an environment
variable if necessary.

The fact that passwd gives the same result makes me think that it is
simply terminal misconfiguration.

-Kyle H