Hi,

Thanks to Thomas Hruska, responding to my previous post, for straightening out my newbie understanding. Let me try to reframe my how-to question.

I have an S/MIME signed_signature .p7s file, that contains certificates.
From using:

 openssl pkcs7 -print_certs -inform DER -in smime.p7s -text

I can see that there are *two* certificates pertaining to the signer (CN: common name entity), each with a different serial number. I want to regenerate this .p7s file, omitting one of the two certificates. Or more generally, to modify one of the certificate entries, e.g. to add the "Subject Alternative Name" field.

I've programmed ASM, C, C++, .dlls, so generally know my way around code, but have no experience with crypto infrastructure. I'd appreciate anyone's suggestion for the appropriate sequence of openssl incantations to achieve my objective.

Thanks,
Frank

Frank J. Iannarilli   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Aerodyne Research, Inc., 45 Manning Road, Billerica, MA 01821 USA
www.aerodyne.com/cosr/cosr.html