On July 15, 2008 10:38:45 am Oil Supply wrote:
> >> What is the new_oids section supposed to be used for? Because it looks
> >> like I just add a name=oid and then for simple strings, add the
> >> extension as name=<whatever> the man pages refer to this as well. That
> >> is my confusion.
> >
> > That should work but it wont result in "name" being displayed on things
> > like browsers: only OpenSSL will now about the mapping between name and
> > the OID.Thanks again, Dr. Henson.
>
> Ok, so to add an extension to a certificate so that the human name
> "fooname" will be displayed in a browser or by openssl x509 command, I
> need to write some routines to encode the name and what-not. And that
> is explained in doc/openssl.txt in the source tree?

No - you need to have it incorporated in an RFC or other standard that
browsers and Certificate processing routines implement.

All you encode in the certificate is an OID and a value - the way that a
program knows how to interpret and display it is built into the logic of the
program, based on the definition a the standard.

> Do you, by you, I mean anyone on the list, think having the human
> readable name in the certificate is a requirement?

If you are including a value in there that is meant to be read by a person,
then yes. If you are including a value in there that is meant to be
interpretted and acted upon by a Relying Party computer program, then no -
but then, as I said in my previous message, if you include a private
extension, the chances of either of these being possible with a
non-proprietary client is approximately nil. If your certificates are only
ever being used by a proprietary client in a closed community, then feel free
to add Private Extensions. If not, then it would probably be better to find a
way to express what you want to convey using one of the standard extensions.

Have fun.

--
Patrick Patterson
President and Chief PKI Architect,