Sean Coleman wrote:
Hello,

I found the following thread concerning x86_64 bit compilations and issues a user
experienced when compiling a fips compliant openssl:

http://marc.info/?l=openssl-dev&m=121451375530617&w=2

In one of the the threads, it was asked whether it was possible to build a 64 bit version of the fips compliant openssl package. The reply stated that it was
not possible to build a win64 version. ...<snip>...

Please keep in mind that the question "is is possible to build the validated product X so that..." is moot. The only reason, presumably, why you would want to build the FIPS Object Module in the first place is to satisfy a policy requirement for FIPS validated cryptography. But, *any* modification of the original as-validated source code or documented build procedure renders the result non-compliant and hence useless for that intended purpose. If you don't have a strong business, political, administrative, or regulatory requirement to use FIPS validated software then don't. It has no technical advantages with respect to the standard unvalidated OpenSSL -- is isn't more secure, higher performing, or more robust. In fact from a purely technical perspective there are a number of distinct disadvantages.

For the original 1.x FIPS object module (currently the only available validated version) we originally planned to include both static and shared (i.e. -fPIC) cases in the testing. That validation turned out to consume more time and money that we had budgeted, so we were reluctantly forced to drop the -fPIC case, unfortunately at a point where we could not make -fPIC the default for the surviving non-shared case. For the v1.1.2 FIPS object module you're just plain out of luck on any platform which does not generate position independent code by default, such as Linux. Ditto for 64 bit code, we didn't include any 64 bit platforms at all.

For the next validation, the 0.9.8 based v1.2, we did make -fPIC the default for all object code generation. 64 bit x86 is also covered, along with x86 assemble optimizations. That validation could be available in as little as a few weeks, so I encourage you to concentrate your efforts on that release. As discussed in previous threads an evaluation source release is at ftp://ftp.openssl.org/snapshot/openssl-fips-test-1.2.0.tar.gz.

Any problems reported for v1.2 can't be fixed for the forthcoming validation, but we can fix them for any future validations. At this point v1.1.2 is sufficiently dated, and diverges enough from v1.2, that bug fixes are less likely to be relevant to the current development baseline that we can change.

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess
Open Source Software institute