I'm afraid I don't quite follow.

I'm compiling my code with the command lines below:
   gcc -Wall -ggdb -DDEBUG LoadDataFromFile.c -c LoadDataFromFile.o
   gcc -Wall -ggdb -DDEBUG WriteDataToFile.c -c WriteDataToFile.o
   gcc -Wall -ggdb -DDEBUG sign.c -c sign.o
   gcc -I /usr/sfw/include -L /usr/sfw/lib -lcrypto LoadDataFromFile.o
WriteDataToFile.o sign.o -o sign

Does this initialize the PKCS11 engine? Or do I need to implement it inside
sign.c? If so, how? And if I am already initializing it, how do I stop?

Thanks for all your help so far. I'm new to OpenSSL and the PKCS11 and I'm
trying to pick up on a project where someone else left off.

-Chris