Please read the Wikipedia page on it?  Due to some of the
circumstances surrounding the RSA algorithm's patenting, it became
impossible for patents to be issued on the algorithm outside the US.
This, along with the US government's encryption export policies, is
why the PGPi (international PGP) project came about, and why nobody
was ever sued for making use of it on patent grounds -- the patent
simply didn't apply outside the US.

And, now that the patent has expired in the US, nobody can be sued for
it on patent grounds here either.

Please note that there are other legal requirements related to
cryptography to be exported from the US.  You will need to look at the
Bureau of Export Administration website (it's part of the Department
of Commerce), and most likely query a lawyer who is familiar with the
topic since they are complex and arcane.  (Open-source projects can
generally be made available upon notification to the government of the
URL that they are at, and applications which use open-source
cryptographic components can mostly be made available, but there are
some important limitations and caveats that are beyond my
understanding.)

-Kyle H