>From the mail thread I take it that your problem is visible at the
client side of the connection, so a server certificate should always
be send as long as you are not using an anonymous cipher (which
need to be enabled specifically).
Are you using SSL_connect() to explicitly connect to the server? Did
you check the return value of SSL_connect() to be 1 for success? There
must be a session established between the client and the server as the
session object contains the premaster secret from which the secret
keys for the communication are derived. Therefore the s->session object
cannot be 0 for an established connection.
You should also consider to use ssldump to analyze your connection
attempt on the wire. It also seems that wireshark is now quite powerful
in analyzing SSL protocol communication.

Best regards,
    Lutz