--- On Fri, 8/15/08, Ger Hobbelt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ahh... This brings back memories... I had to do the same
> 'selective compilation' back before 2000 when the USA would
> prohibit cipher export at 128 bit and beyond unless you had a
> specific license.

Ger,

  Many thanks for taking the time to reply in such details.
Lutz's solution works, but when searching for text in the object
files, some restricted keywords would still be shown such as:

strings /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8 |grep aes -i|less

AES-128-ECB
aes-128-ecb
AES-128-CBC
aes-128-cbc
AES-128-OFB
aes-128-ofb

  Your solution of commenting out every bit (pun intended I
guess) of restricted crypto functionality instead of commenting
out the ciphers only might be the way to get rid of all